Insect Allergy and Autumn

31 Mar 2017

Warm and damp Autumn weather provides perfect breeding conditions for insects that are known to cause allergic reactions.

It’s natural that we react to insect bites and stings, however some people experience reactions to certain insects that go beyond just a bite or sting.

A number of insects in Australia are known to cause allergic reactions. These reactions can be severe and, in some cases, life-threatening.

Common bites and stings to watch out for come from ants (Jack Jumper, green, fire), bees (honey, native Australian), wasps (paper & European), march flies, sandflies, midges, ticks and mosquitoes.

Around 1 in 250 Australians will suffer an anaphylactic reaction due to insect allergy. The Jack Jumper Ant is a uniquely Australian problem, and has been responsible for several deaths in recent years.

Allergic reactions to insect stings and bites can range from mild localised symptoms to anaphylaxis. Reactions involving hives (urticaria) without difficulty breathing or a drop in blood pressure are uncomfortable but not dangerous, however anyone who has experienced these symptoms or anaphylaxis should be assessed by an allergy doctor.

Insect stings and bites can be painful, and allergic reactions can become more severe with repeat encounters.

Insects, by their nature, are one of the most difficult allergens to avoid. Bites are a less common cause of anaphylaxis than stings. If you have an insect allergy it is important to have an up-to-date Action Plan and an EpiPen. Immunotherapy is available for those at risk of severe reactions to insects.

Contact us to find out how we can help.

Autumn and Allergy